LIST OF INDIVIDUALS AND ENTITIES SUBJECT TO THE MEASURES IMPOSED BY
PARAGRAPH 1 OF RESOLUTION 1988 (2011), AS RENEWED BY PARAGRAPH 1 OF RESOLUTION 2082 (2012) AND PARAGRAPH 1 of RESOLUTION 2160 (2014)
(The 1988 List)
Click Button for:
Click Button for:
Click Button for:
I. General Information
The Security Council Committee established pursuant to paragraph 30 of resolution 1988 (2011) oversees the implementation by States of the three sanctions measures (assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo) imposed by the Security Council in connection with any individual, group, undertaking and entity designated as or associated with the Taliban in constituting a threat to the peace, stability and security of Afghanistan. The Committee maintains a List of individuals and entities subject to the sanctions measures, accessible on this webpage. Resolution 2082 (2012) requires all States to:
- freeze without delay the funds and other financial assets or economic resources [assets freeze]
- prevent the entry into or the transit through their territories [travel ban]
- prevent the direct or indirect supply, sale and transfer from their territories or by their nationals outside their territories, or using their flag vessels or aircraft, of arms and related materiel of all types, spare parts, and technical advice, assistance, or training related to military activities, to designated individuals and entities [arms embargo].
By paragraph 2 of resolution 1988 (2011) the Security Council decided that those previously designated as the Taliban, and other individuals groups, undertakings and entities associated with them, whose names were inscribed in section A (“Individuals associated with the Taliban”) and section B (“entities and other groups and undertakings associated with the Taliban”) of the Consolidated List maintained by the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1267, from 17 June 2011 on would no longer be a part of the Consolidated List, but would be on the List established pursuant to resolution 1988 (2011).
II. Composition of the list
The 1988 Sanctions List consists of two sections, specified below:
- A. Individuals associated with the Taliban (134 individuals)
- B. Entities and other groups and undertakings associated with the Taliban (4 entities)
All names and identifying information on the 1988 Sanctions List have been submitted to the Committee by United Nations Member States and international organizations. Individuals are listed alphabetically by their family name/surname/last name as it appears in Latin script. Entities are also arranged in alphabetical order. All geographical locations are reproduced as submitted and are cited without prejudice to their political or legal status. Narrative summaries of reasons for listing, where available, can also be found on the Committee’s website. Members States are strongly encouraged, wherever possible, to submit to the Committee, through their Permanent Missions to the United Nations in New York, any relevant information not currently included on the 1988 Sanctions List.
The 1988 Sanctions List maintained on this website was last updated on 31 July 2014, and supersedes all previous versions. Further changes will be made to the 1988 Sanctions List immediately following the relevant decision of the Committee. A press release documenting such changes will also be issued and posted in the "Press releases" section. The List is available in the PDF, XML and HTML formats.
III. Names, Identifiers and acronyms on the list
The 1988 List has several fields for identifiers. Where information is lacking, the letters "na" (not available) denote that the Committee has not yet been able to obtain it. Explanations of the fields used in the 1988 List are provided below.
Permanent reference number
- The first letter (T) indicates that the individual/entity is inscribed on the 1988 Sanctions List.
- The second letter indicates whether it is an individual (I) or an entity (E).
- The third letter represents the first letter of the last name for individuals and the first letter of the name of an entity.
- The first number represents the order in which the individual/entity was added to the List.
- The second number represents the year the individual/entity was added to the List.
Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4
Four separate name fields have been provided in order to accommodate the full range of naming conventions used in all cultures. For example, for Arabic names, Name 1 is the individual's first name/given name, Name 2 is the name of the individual's father, Name 3 is the name of the individual's grandfather and Name 4 is the individual's family name/surname/last name (if known).
In many instances, individuals included in the 1988 List are represented by less than four names. There are several possible reasons for this, such as: a) information regarding some parts of the complete name is unavailable; or b) the naming convention used for that individual does not employ all four components. Users should bear in mind that there is no universal standard for transliterating names based in other scripts into Latin characters. This can result in a number of variations in spelling. Cross referencing names with other elements of the information contained in the List and searching for different possible spellings of the same name is therefore recommended.
- Name (original script): Name as it would appear in the original script (e.g. Arabic, Cyrillic, Farsi/Dari, etc.)
- Title: Honorary, professional, religious or other title (current or last held).
- Designation: Official title/position/occupation.
- DOB: Date of birth, including alternative date(s) of birth.
- POB: Place of birth, including alternative place(s) of birth.
- Good quality a.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) sufficient for a positive identification. Note that names in this field are not separated as Name 1, 2, 3, 4 but are listed as full names.
- Low quality a.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) probably insufficient alone for a positive identification.
- Nationality: previous or current nationality or citizenship.
- Passport no.: Passport, travel or substitute/auxiliary document number(s).
- National identification no.: such as ID card numbers, Social Security numbers, Fiscal Code or Tax Identification numbers
- Permanent reference number.
- Name: name of entity and any acronyms.
- Name (original script): name as it would appear in the original script (e.g. Arabic, Cyrillic, Farsi/Dari,)
- A.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) and any acronyms.
- F.k.a.: formerly known as and any acronyms.
- Address: Address(es) where entity is domiciled or registered or has branch(es)/office(s) or correspondence address(es).
- Listed on: date on which the 1988 Sanctions Committee placed the entity on the 1988 Sanctions List and of any amendments it made regarding the listed entity.
- Other information: Supplementary information relevant to identification of the entity.